Definitions Worth Knowing
- Grace = χάρις, חסד; when the one who owns me nothing gives me everything
- Peace = ειρήνη, שׁלמ; the comfort of conformity with the will of God
While this is a standard formula for epistles, it is charged with Paul’s unique perspective on the nature and will of God. He understood better than most that believers and the church sit at the intersection of God’s righteousness and his mercy.
Topics for Discussion
- We can define thanksgiving as intentional gratitude. In other words, we decide to be thankful and then express thankfulness not just in words but in actions and reaction. Take some time to list things you are thankful for and then jot down just one thing you should DO because of that thing God has provided to you.
- Erik talked about finding joy as the basis of a life of thanksgiving. Finding joy in difficulty can be hard. Do you think finding joy is a personal thing? A community thing? Neither? Both? What are some ways you can find joy?
- When Paul talks about those who have partners in the gospel from the beginning, Erik thinks that means that members of Lydia’s household and Philippian jailor’s household were still in leadership and service in Philippi. Do you think that as people mature, their ministry and roles change? How has your journey as a believer changed you? What has stayed the same?
Don’t be afraid to jot questions and comments below. We’d love to hear your perspectives as well!