Jesus Christ, God the Son
We believe Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God who created and sustains all things. [http://ref.ly/Co1.16-17]
- He became fully man, born of a virgin and lived a holy and sinless life. [http://ref.ly/Ro8.3]
- He died for our sins, was raised from the dead and ascended to heaven.
- He is the Head of the Church. [http://ref.ly/Ep1.22, http://ref.ly/ep5.23, http://ref.ly/Co1.18]
- He is now the mediator between God and men. [http://ref.ly/1Ti2.5]
- He will return to the earth as our Coming King [http://ref.ly/re20.4]
We could write on the nature and work of Christ for pages, filling whole books if given enough time. Instead, we tried to distill the essence of Christ’s work on earth. We wanted it clear that he was pre-existent and active in creation but we also wanted to emphasize his human work and his continuous work in the church. This was not easy to do, but the elders felt that these six statement show Christ’s fully divine and fully human nature accurately, if in broad strokes.
Of course, the union of Christ’s divine and human natures is a mystery we cannot hope to explain in human words.
The chart below demonstrates the way we attempted to construct our statement of faith. Everything flows from the nature of God, through the Bible, illuminating for us both our sinfulness and the power of salvation and leading to our mission on earth as the Church of Christ.